The Spartan Spectrum

The Student News Site of Hazelwood East High School

The Spartan Spectrum

The Spartan Spectrum

How One Woman is Shaping Our Futures

Capture
Photo Credit: freephotos.cc
By Tyleah Dickerson

Simone Britto, the college and career adviser, provides numerous opportunities for students at Hazelwood East High School. She assists students by informing them about scholarships and planning college visits.  A Senior, Ashley Mason’s perspective will be expressed as well.

Going to college is a very important thing to Britto. She points out how it may not be for everyone. Some may want to skip college and get right to work.

“All that matters is that you get on the right path for what you do after graduation.” She stated.

She gathers information about scholarships and other opportunities from The College Advising Corps, a national organization of college advisers from different high schools.  She also receives information to pass on to us from other local organizations.

“A lot of people know my information, and will send stuff along that I can share with you,” she said.

Did you always envision yourself being a college- career adviser at a high school?

“Definitely did not…This program I am doing is a two-year program before I apply to graduate school…didn’t know about this opportunity until I was a senior in college,” she stated.

Britto would like the opportunities she provides for students to be effective. Some students exhibit a positive attitude and actually want to work with her. Other times though, she has someone that really doesn’t want to be bothered with her.

“And that’s when I feel like I’m being less effective, but I think it has to go both ways.” she expressed.

Do you feel there is something next year that you will add to the college-career center to help with the future generation?

“I don’t think I’ll add any new programs… I know how to make things more effective like I’ll know how to help students sooner,” she told me.

Britto chose to become a college and career adviser because she didn’t receive much help preparing for college in high school.

“I felt like I was doing the whole college process on my own, so I wanted to help make it easier for all of you,” she emphasized.

Do you actually enjoy your job at our school?

“Really love getting to know everyone one-on-one, and I like that I’m not always doing the same things, there’s always a lot going on.” she expressed.

Now let’s see how one senior, Ashley Mason, feels about Simone Britto’s advising. I started off with the same question ‘How important is going to college to you?’

“I believe college is very important, and it will help benefit you, and your future, and also get you-you better careers or jobs,” she said.

Mason feels Britto has been very effective at helping her go to college.

“She always asks questions if you need help applying to colleges, also for FAFSA,” Mason stated.

How many times before Ms. Britto did you visit the college-career center, and do you feel Ms. Britto made it more of a welcoming place?’ Mason tells me she didn’t visit that often before, and Britto has made it a more welcoming place to be.

“Just communicating with her is very easy, and there are lots of ways to get ahold of her.” she expressed.

Mason describes how Britto has helped her see her career path clearly. How she has given her helpful informational tools to research her career.  

“She gives me insight!”

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Spartan Spectrum

Your donation will support the student journalists of Hazelwood East High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.